Guangzhou Stuff

dog-lovers, your life may be about to get a lot more interesting

Researchers create harness that translates body language of dogs

RALEIGH, N.C. (UPI) -- North Carolina researchers said they have created a dog harness outfitted with technology designed to ease interspecies communication with canines.

The North Carolina State University team said the harness includes technologies aimed at interpreting the body language signals used by dogs, as well as technologies designed to translate human language into signals the dogs will understand.

"We have a fully functional prototype, but we'll be refining the design as we explore more and more applications for the platform," said Dr. David Roberts, an assistant professor of computer science at the school and co-author of a paper on the team's work.

The harness also bears temperature and heart-rate sensors that can give users information about the dog's emotional state, which can be useful in analyzing the stress levels of guide dogs and other service animals.

"This can help handlers identify and mitigate stress for the dogs, improving the length and quality of a dog's life," said Sean Mealin, a Ph.D. student and co-author of the paper. It's an important issue. Particularly because guide dogs are bred and trained not to display signs of stress in their behavior.

The team said the technology could also have applications for search-and-rescue dogs with additional sensors to detect environmental factors such as gas leaks.

------------------------

no news about something like this for cats - who needs it? it would only have 2 things to say - 'i want something, figure it out and take care of it' or 'who the hell are you and why do you think i care?'

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

reminds me of those dog collars in the movie "up".

and about cats.. maybe just because cats are too difficult to translate?

i havent seen that movie, i dont usually pay much attention to animated stuff.. but i've heard that it's a very good movie, in ways you wouldnt expect - i guess i need to download it :)

i was just making a joke about cats.. i've had a cat most of my life, and i really love everything about them - i dont think theyre so hard to translate, as long as you remember that what's important in their world is not much at all the same as what's important to us :)

yeah you are right cats are not that difficult to translate actually. i was just pretending that they were mysterious. no they are actually not.

well that "up" movie, it was actually pretty sad in the beginning.. like being old and lonely but then... you got a young friend and a dog!

i watched it with my sister in a cinema back home. it was the first 3D cartoon i've watched.
oops sorry spoiler?

no, not a spoiler, and it wouldnt matter anyway - hard to complain about spoilers for a movie that's been around for 5 years :)

by the way - the idea of being able to understand your dog better reminded me.. if you havent seen or heard of the tv series called 'wilfred', be sure to check it out :) It was originally an australian series, then re-done in the US. I wont try to explain it because it's just too good, and too funny - but wilfred is a dog.. except that one guy sees that he's really a man dressed like a dog.. they become friends, they drink beer and smoke dope together, he watches the dog have sex with a stuffed bear, oh and the dog has an australian accent :)

totally amazing show that has fun with crazy things about the world of dogs, like...

Ryan: [referring to Spencer] Why the hell would you leave my wallet outside his window?
Wilfred: I don't know, Ryan. Why is the sky grey? Why is the grass grey? Why is a rainbow grey, grey, grey, grey, grey and infra-grey?
--------------
Wilfred: Kristen's always busting balls. Why doesn't she try licking them?
------------------
Ryan: Well, here we are.
Wilfred: Woah! You said we were going for a walk. A walk, Ryan - which by definition means 'no destination'! Even a cat knows that.
--------------------
Ryan: I'm not crazy!
Wilfred: Said the man to the dog.

Ryan: You son of a bitch!
Wilfred: How is that an insult? I've never understood that.
Ryan: Eat shit! Eat shit!
Wilfred: Again, your tone says insult, but what I'm hearing is a tempting offer.
Wilfred: Do you know what this is?
Ryan: Let me guess, the length of my dick?
Wilfred: No, it's the amount of compassion you've shown towards your mum...and the length of your dick. They happened to be equal in this case. It doesn't happen often, but it's pretty cool when this shit lines up.
yeah great thanks

i'm in the middle of my lunch..

RSS

© 2017   Created by Asia Stuff Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service